Thank you

I've recently come from a chat event, because today is release day for my book. And I realize (now) that I might have wanted to have mentioned that before now, certainly before the chat occurred, and ended. I'd like to say "lesson learned" in that flippant sort of way, but I think that only applies to lessons that were actually learned, and not ones that were just common sense. Anyway, the experience was humbling: all of that is to say that no one showed up, except for the very kind and savvy marketing director for my publisher.

I sent an email off today thanking the group I pitched my story through, which lead to that publisher who published by book and provided me with that marketeer. I was happy when I thought that it would make a difference to someone teetering on the edge between giving up and putting that next step forward. I smile when I think about all the posts that will go live this month about the friends I dedicated the book to. I laugh a bit to think at how I won't have to have that awkward moment anymore when people ask me "Oh, you're a writer, what have you done and where can I get it?"

In other news, the pace holds. I did three chapters on Saturday, which was a bit surprising to me. I was sitting around, doing nothing, sort of waiting for Saturday to "happen." But, thankfully, I realized that if I had the time and I had the inclination, I might as well work (my dad would say "don't put off for tomorrow what you could do today") so work I did. Sunday I edited them and scratched my head a bit at the drafted products. Sometimes my chapters come off as snippets, little semi-unrelated short stories which fit in the world, but connect less with the story I'm telling. All I can think to do when that happens is ponder out if I've read any books with chapters like that and shrug.

Because I'm on spring break this week, I'll be trying to double up on things, the goal being six chapters before this time next week. I rub my hands together like I'm trying to start a fire.

And, in acknowledgment of the fact that what we are is so much the result of others (which is pertinent, I think, today of all days with me standing on shoulders), I'd like to write someone else's words: "The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failure, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Push, and breach

The imparting or exchanging of information

Let's play a game