Alert spoilers

I was going to post a second fantasy short story, but the writing is taking longer than I'd like. I guess this is filler, then. Thinking back, I maybe should have worked on some writerly commentary in the same post or in a post after the stories. Maybe I'll fold that into things moving forward.

In other news, the novel I'm working to finish by Christmas hit the 60k mark. For a lot of publishers, that's the threshold separating novels from novellas or acceptable from unacceptable in terms of submission guidelines. It was at chapter 17 that I hit the mark, and the latest chapter spilled it over. Then I took a break, because a new story that came to me crowded my concentration. That doesn't happen normally, but this time it was pretty clingy. Even after I took some notes down, and outlined a bit, it still didn't go away. It made chapter 18 a slog that I will have to return to and clean up. In a larger, horrifying sense, the novel has changed in my mind to something less worthy of being written. I don't know what happened. I was really happy with it in the beginning and now... feedback from beta readers will be right on time. 

Through all of this, the idea of pacing has come up again. Stories having beginnings, middles, and ends, the difference in a short story and a longer one is where those occur, in relation to word count and page number. And also reader patience. The recent story I posted, Blood for the Soil, gave me difficulty early on because I was writing it knowing that there was a novel that related and followed. There was more story, and in the back of my mind I was working to support that and preface it. But I didn't have the same amount of time the novel had, to set things up, to introduce the characters, to get to the point. I suppose it would be like a long distance runner practicing sprints, and coming to realize that they didn't need to hold back their energy nearly as much, or maintain their focus for nearly as long. 

Likewise, this most recent short story, which is also meant to open a door to the possibility of a longer work to follow, is completely different because that longer work has not been written. Not even conceived of, much less outlined or drafted. What I'm doing now is the first steps into the setting, and that has changed a lot. I got to three thousand words, which is ballpark novel chapter length for me, and it felt like it was just getting traction. That drained my confidence some, and the gremlins piled in throwing shade and doubt. 

In a similar way, revising old short stories has been much the same. In Traveler, I realized I had confused the entire crux of the story with convoluted detail. The setting of the in-game universe was far too detailed, unnecessary for the reader to learn about Kojo, his condition, and his quest. Paring all that back felt like it cleaned up a lot, and streamlined the process. For Hybrid Man, I had made the misstep of overlooking the narrator. Charlotte and Griffin were meant to have equal shares in the relationship of the story, but with fresh eyes I noticed that the longer things went, the weaker Charlotte became, and the opposite should've been true. I wasn't very disappointed in where they were when I found them though. But it did feel good to mark my progress. 

Anyway. I guess I'll get back to it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Push, and breach

The imparting or exchanging of information

Let's play a game