The week to week thoughts and deliberations of a writer that authors, a thinker that dreams, and a realist who hopes.
A little late
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
The cover came in this week, and the fact of the matter is I was not ready. So, in lieu of putting down my thoughts about how all of that is going, I will instead be elsewhere, making it go.
I've been on a bit of a break. Hiatus might be the better word. I imagined that fifty years ago, or a hundred fifty years ago, writing was different. Largely, writing was writing. Even if a poet wrote alone, just for herself, relatives who found her work later could rather easily publish those writings, and make livings off of posthumous efforts. Now, I have to acknowledge that in regards to being a writer, it doesn't quite do anymore to simply write. To say that I've been writing seems to count far less than successfully convincing others that I am a writer. It's an awful, tangled, convoluted mess. I was inspired by an acquaintance who made some progress with her own struggles. Through her I learned a lot about comic books and the process for making them. We had largely talked about fiction but I discovered one of her many passions was graphic novels. She went around to conventions in the region, shook hands, did research, smiled, proved herself driven, did the work...
Two weeks ago, I was given a DVD to watch at the behest of my writer's group. I say it that way because it was less of an assignment, and more of a social obligation in that it was put into my hands along with the burden of their expectation that I would watch it then we could discuss it. So of course I didn't. When it came back around, an up and coming screen writer in the group somewhat excitedly said "I think one of us had a movie to watch," and I was given the terrible duty of disappointing all of them. However, that sick feeling in my stomach was just enough to get me to pop it into the player and view Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn. There was only the one down side, where something like a scratch made the DVD slow, stop, and skip, forcing me to work my techno-craft and fix the problem. With only a ten-minute break in activities, I managed to watch the entire film. I say film because it was good. Shatner didn't sound (to me) like the Priceline guy; he sou...
I was given cause recently to ponder on impact with regard to time. It’s been a theme that has echoed repeatedly recently, and it gave me a greater appreciation for consistency, beyond all the other important characteristics that contribute to success. I was waiting for an order at a restaurant, on one of the rare occasions I was moving outside my comfort zone. I was looking at the colorful decorations and bombastic menu and the busy workers in the back. The person that took my order walked from behind the counter and over to me directly and asked if I had worked in education. The question made me wonder at our recent interaction, my asking about the menu and other details. I told him I did currently, and as I was speaking I realized I had to admit I had been in and around education for some 17 years. He asked if I had ever worked for a certain school, and I admitted I had, then all of his reservation disassembled into comfort and familiarity. He knew it. He knew he recogni...
Comments
Post a Comment