Syn(onymous)

 I have an update, if brief. 



This cover comprises the best collaboration between my artist and I thus far. I imagined this situation about a decade ago. I didn't realize it was unrealistic at the time, but what I wanted was for the artist to read the work to develop a conversation, from which would come an image that would benefit from their creativity and their intimate understanding. To his credit, he did start my first book, which is more than I could probably ask for. But we did have that conversation. I substituted his reading with my explaining, themes, metaphors, allusions, foreshadowing. He did have questions. He did go away and come back and the sketch brought to light some of the perspectives I wasn't considering, which is really all I wanted the whole time. So, the work continues. 


I'm also writing this because not everyone has platforms, and I think it is important to speak for the better, no matter how tall ours may be. A friend brought this to my attention, so I am trying to be responsible and spread awareness in what small way I can. People on the autism spectrum are a growing, misrepresented, mischaracterized, misunderstood group, and being a minority myself, I am sensitive to their struggles and challenges. 


At first I thought maybe mixing these two ideas would've been jarring, even confusing. Then I thought about the idea of progress. I would refer to the developments in my work progress, but I would use the same word for the advancement of our society, a transformation into something more kind and humanistic. I think this does that. I hope it does that. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Push, and breach

The imparting or exchanging of information

Let's play a game